Sunday, December 27, 2020

Black Americans Owe Donald Trump a Great Deal of Gratitude

 Black Americans Owe Donald Trump a Great Deal of Gratitude

By  Mike Craft

    When history looks back at the one term of the 45th President, he will be celebrated by more people than you could imagine. Black folks young and old will look in reverence at the man who woke us up.

    It seems that after Barak Obama's election, we patted ourselves on the back and said "Let the brother man handle this." At the same time, the "alt's" kicked it in to high gear. That monster gain was followed by a thousand paper cuts that bled our advancements dry. During the height of the black lives matter protest across the country, I told my football players if they were looking for someone to blame -- to blame me.

    I wanted to fall on the sword because, I had laid mine down after it looked like we had finally crossed the finish line in 2008. Instead, I figured that the only thing left to do was sit back and watch my 401k grow.

    Now, in my own defense I wasn't totally idle. I volunteered at my children's schools. Then there was the time, I stepped up to fight a greedy developer whose intentions for our neighborhood were less than honorable.

    However, since then I have been M.I.A. when it comes to truly shaping my community politically.

    As they say, "Life gets in the way."

    Then along comes Trump who entered politics mouth first.  It was laughable when he first starting talking about putting our Hispanic brothers on the other side of a great wall.

    It was a little unsettling when he struck fear into the hearts of Muslim Americans.  I was heart broken to hear about the traumatic impact this was having from my new sister in law's mother, a women with a beautiful spirit. Still I did nothing.

    One by one, Trump pointed out THOSE people to his people and said they are not worthy.
Then he came for me.

    The "dog whisperer" made it loud and clear who the fine people were while at the same time began to attack members of my extended family.  If he came to the hood and trashed talked one of our women folk like he did Maxime Waters...enough said.  In doing so, he lifted the veil of racism and made it plain as day. For that, we owe him thanks.

   I used to hear my elders say the Klan put up their robes a long time ago and put on three piece suits.

    They weren't burning crosses in a field in the back woods, but torching the hopes of our people with roll backs, red lining and other hateful policies.

      Even if they weren't card carrying members, they were doing the white supremacist business by making separate not equal and justice for some.

    Still some of us, benefitted greatly from the advancements won by people like my father in law, former state senator Henry L. Marsh.

    I for one, rested on their laurels while the opposition hammered home messages of reverse discrimination and stripped away many of the programs that gave our people a leg up.

    A true confidant and mentor of mine who happens to be white asked me  - what can be done?
I said, "The next time you get a chance, promote free pre-school for all children. That would be a step in the right direction."  As Frederick Douglas said, "It's easier to build up a child than to fix a broken man."

    I don't want to hear that it's a luxury we can't afford when, at the same time, we spend millions in aid to other countries.

    Please don't confuse this for nationalism.  I believe that we ultimately will be judged by the fruit on the tree. Without a proper educational foundation, our fruit will fall far from the tree and our country's promise will wither and die.

    On election day, I think we as a people finally realized what was a stake.

    It was only fitting that the folks from cities like Philadelphia and Atlanta made their presence felt.  No doubt the phrase better late -- well actually it was early - than ever comes to mind.

    Mr. Resident for everything you have done to wake us up over the past four years, I offer this advice - "Be a man about it." You don't have to go home but you have to get out of our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment